Tuesday, February 16, 2016

The help.. The Gambino House Nannie

The Gambino house nannie has to be the hardest working person in the family. They are essentially our parents. We spent more time with them than our parents. The cycle continued with my kids and nieces and nephews. Its really a vicious cycle that needs intervened. A direct effect of the house nannie is unhealthy relationships with parents. I feel like they are almost strangers now. Not much has changed now that I am older with my own kids. When I speak to my parents its almost like I don't even know them and its hard to talk to them or get any objective achieved during any conversation. I fear my own kids go through this sad reality as well.
A typical day for a Gambino nannie starts with getting children up and ready for school.. then off to school. Then if there is still children home, they will spend the day catering to the children's every need. As well as cook sometimes (we had a cook that cooked), clean, laundry, and anything else needed done. Once the kids get home from school or get out of school the nannie will do after school practices, carpooling, school sport and other events, PTA, parent/teacher conferences.. Then whatever needs done.. homework, bath, whatever needs or wants done by the children. The nannie does the shopping and plans events at the home (holidays, anniversary's, family trips, parties, dinners, etc.)  She picks up the slack for whatever other part of the house staff is lacking. They make 1,400$ a week. Live for free on the property in the nannie quarters. Not very much considering the nannie does more than my multi-millionaire parents. I couldn't ever be a house nannie.
The children's relationship with the nannies are what parents and children should be. Its sad really. But we are lucky to have at least a house nannie to lean on. Parents are rarely around (I call it an excuse so they don't have to be around.) I know because right now my own children are with family and our house nannie and house staff. Its nothing I am proud of but its all I know. I cant figure out how to break this cycle myself. Its harder than it appears. I don't know HOW I am going to raise this baby I am pregnant with.. Rico said I cannot have a house nannie. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do. It will however, be interesting to see how different this child turns out compared to myself and my other kids. I have a lot of work ahead of me.. and I am starting completely over at 32 years old and scared to death. Most people want their family.. i.e parents around when they give birth to a child and the following weeks/months. Not me, I want my house nannie. I am just now able to do my own laundry and wash dishes and clean me and rico's house. On my own. I hate that, but then again its my reality.
I am thankful I had a house nannie, she was my best friend, parent, teacher, doctor, babysitter, she was a part of my family. Its weird we are being raised by another person and we end up still like our parents in so many ways. I adopted 2 boys and I've raised them for the past 11 years and they are just like me.. or more so like me than their parents. I thought I would be more like my nannie. I am in some ways but I sometimes think I am too much like my crazy mother and busy reclusive father. I wish I would have had a choice in the matter of a house nannie.. maybe I wouldn't be so scared to give birth right now. I have never even changed a diaper on my own. SMH this will be interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment